Template issues in D

Burton Radons burton-radons at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 20 14:10:18 PST 2008

Oh and I should add that I whole-heartedly support fixing templating issues. The trouble is that templating in D is kind of like templating in C++ - you need to know far too much about the way the language works because if you treat it in a way it doesn't expect, it'll reject your code with some very foolish errors. The difference and the extra frustration is that when C++ rejects code it's because the language is stupid, but when D rejects code it's because the compiler isn't robust. So knowing the language isn't even enough. This is the kind of basic feature that the compiler needs to be handling correctly.

If const is what's taking up Walter's time then, well, that's just more proof that const is an evil, worthless concept in addition to it providing no useful information to the compiler, forcing casts everywhere (the most dangerous operation made mandatory, great!), making the compiler more complex, making it very difficult to port D code up (and yes, I tried it, and stopped after two hours), infecting code which doesn't want to deal with this nonsense, ...