Survey of dsource projects

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:56:22 PST 2008

David Wilson wrote:
> I don't understand, what is the use case for these stats? The
> sourceforge.net project stats have been in all the years of that site,
> practically useless. Measuring commits, LOC change, downloads forum
> posts, etc., is no good measure of a project's "rating" or
> "progression". I just don't see the point.
>
> I see no reason why a project that hasn't been touched in 10 years,
> but has a stable, mature code base should be ranked lower than some
> college project that is getting 100 feverish commits a day from some
> OCD victim making whitespace changes.* :)
>
> +1 for alphabetical order or some sane categorisation scheme
> -1 for anything other than a nice summary page showing recent commits,
> forum topics, etc.

For D, at least for libraries that are intended to be distributed in
source form (and even many binary ones) if the last commit was more than
a few months ago, they're likely not to compile on modern compilers.
Even though D1 is supposedly "stable", there have been a number of
breaking changes (the version/extern "fix", the .init "fix", etc.).
Source libraries that won't compile, while they can still be useful, are
difficult for a new user, and so their inactivity should be noted.

I find stats very useful. While it's true that stats can be messed with,
in the general case a project that has a high number of commit and LOC
changes is likely being "actively developed". Does that mean it's more
useful? Certainly not, but that's something users might like to see, or
even sort by.

It also helps users find projects that are very actively developed but
whose developers don't post status updates on d.D.announce very often
and foreign-language projects whose developers don't use the English
forums here.