stable != abandoned [was: My Kingdom For ...]

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 09:02:18 PST 2008

Darryl Bleau, el 21 de febrero a las 09:48 me escribiste:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> > "Darryl Bleau" <user at example.net> wrote in message
> > news:fphle3$20np$1 at digitalmars.com...
> >> opIndexConcat
> >> opIndexConcatAssign
> >>
> >> in D1, of course.
> >>
> >> I would also potentially accept:
> >>
> >> Returning static arrays from functions.
> >>
> >> or, possibly:
> >>
> >> !in
> >
> > Sorry, no new language features in D1.
> >

> I know, and I knew when writing it that it was futile to ask. I suppose
> I was more just venting my frustration that it seems that D1 was
> released, and Walter said, 'go forth and create programs', which we did,
> but now we turn around and say, hey, this D stuff is great, could we
> just have a few minor changes? But, are denied. Seems Const and Enum are
> much more important than helping with actual practical applications of
> the current language.

I agree. D1.0 looks more "abandoned" than "stable". A language should keep
moving even when it's stable, as long as the changes are backward
compatibles. That mean that a new syntax that was previosly forbiden or
new additions to the standard library could be done without affecting
stability.

If Walter don't have the time, maybe, again, it's time to name a
successor, someone who has the time to take over like Linus does with
the stable kernels.

I know this is extremely difficult with DMD being closed, but maybe he can
find a way.

For now, it's like there is no viable D Language, you have D1.0 wich is
broken (there are a lot of things specified in the specs that are not
implemented in D1.) and gets too little attention, or D2.0 that it's
continously evolving and getting huge changes.

I think D1.0 is good enough and deserves a little love to finally polish
all the rough corners and make it move forward in small and backward
compatible steps to be a nice, maintained and usable language.