Feature Request - Raw HTML in ddoc comments

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 22 00:51:49 PST 2008

On 22/02/2008, Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> Janice Caron wrote:
>  > Hi, I'd love to put raw HTML inside ddoc comments,
>
> You can do it now. Just put it in! But I don't recommend it, as then the
>  output is restricted to HTML.

Bah! HTML is now the single most portable document format on the
planet. It is almost trivial to convert from HTML to any other format.
I would think that it would be not too hard to remove the restriction
that you mention.

ddoc is OK for documenting functions and classes and the like, but
tedious for more involved documentation such as a tutorial. (For
example, single colon anywhere inside a ddoc comment can completely
screw up the layout).

Come to think of it ...

I think I'll write a utility which converts from HTML into ddoc
macros. Then I can write additional documentation in HTML using a
WYSIWYG editor of my choice, convert it to ddoc macros, and then wham
it into the source code, without having to worry that I might have
made a syntax error somewhere that complete screws up the layout.