stable != abandoned [was: My Kingdom For ...]

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 12:29:31 PST 2008

Christopher Wright, el 21 de febrero a las 22:33 me escribiste:
> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >I think D1.0 is good enough and deserves a little love to finally polish
> >all the rough corners and make it move forward in small and backward
> >compatible steps to be a nice, maintained and usable language.
>
> The frontend is open source; care to volunteer?

Yes, but the only problem here is not the source code. If I decide to
change the frontend to admit, for example, !in, but Walter don't want to
include it on DMD (which will mean that GDC probably will not follow),
nothing will change. Other posibility will be to fork the language
specification, but I don't know if that's even possible because of the
licensing issues. Or one could just implemente that stuff in GDC
documenting just the extra features.

Either way, I don't think it's very good for the language, we already have
to problems of phobos vs. tango to add DMD vs GDC/whatever.

I think that, to be successful, it have to be some "official" support so
a fork is not necessary.