stability

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 10:21:35 PST 2008

Bill Baxter, el 25 de febrero a las 02:19 me escribiste:
> Walter Bright wrote:
> >Bill Baxter wrote:
> >>I think Walter is doing a pretty good job of fixing bugs with D1, but still there are a few instances where he has seemed a little too eager to classify a
> >>fix as an enhancement, apparently so as to avoid having to port it to D1.
> >That isn't true at all. "Porting" changes to D1 is trivial, since the code is about 98% common. The problem is there is often not a clear distinction between
> >a bug and an enhancement, and D1 cannot be a stable language if it keeps getting enhancements.
>
> If it's so easy to backport changes then why not create a 1.5x series of releases which are D1.x + non-breaking changes from D2?  I had figured the reason for
> not doing so was that it would take too much time.  Or is it the other stuff that takes too much time?  (Maintaining a separate version of all the web pages,
> etc.)

I think D should have 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc., series, where backward
compatible new features are included to the language. Even minor backward
incompatible changes could be added with a well defined cicle of
future/deprecated features a la Python.