stability

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 14:49:47 PST 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Denton Cockburn wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:46:19 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> All useful compilers are full of bugs. For example, gcc has 4265
>>> unresolved bugs.
>>>
>>> http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=gcc&content=
>>>

>> Ouch.  Touche.
>
> One way to look at the bug count is as a measure of how many people are
> using the product. Only a handful of bugs correlates to nobody using it.
> The rising bug count in D is not the result of increasing instability,
> but of increased usage of it and more sophisticated use.

In the case of gcc, the other way to look at the bug count (4265) is to
realize that the number is the combined sum of four front ends (C, C++,
Objective C, GNAT) and two processor IS targets (32 bit and 64 bit).  At
least that is what I gathered from the link. So I think it's just a
little unfair to compare dmd's bug count directly to gcc's, although I
understand the point you were trying to make. :)

-JJR