Comments on DMD frontend.

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Feb 27 20:11:36 PST 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>>> It's not confusing to me because I never mix C and C++ source files
>>> in the same project.
>>
>> It's not confusing to you! If you do it in a closed source project, it's
>> perfectly fine but if you do it in an open source project, it's a bad
>> thing (TM). You are putting a barrier to people to contribute (and making
>> D look ugly).
>>
>> What are the chances that you rename them to a commonly used C++
>> extension?
>
> .c is a commonly used C++ extension, but I understand your point. I'd
> also rather not change it, as it's an admittedly personal preference.

You gotta be kidding.  I've seen lots of extensions used for C++ code,
but never .c.
file.cpp, file.cc, file.C, file.CC, file.cxx, file.c++, file.C++, yes
yes and yes.
But never file.c.

Calling it "commonly used" is a stretch.

But I think that being a "barrier to contributors" is a stretch as well.
  File naming pales in comparison to the other barriers that exist.

--bb