Feature Request - Raw HTML in ddoc comments

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Feb 29 14:49:21 PST 2008

Robert Fraser wrote:
> Why does your 50-to-100-page manual need to be in the same file as your
> code?

Ddoc isn't intended to be a full-featured text layout publishing thing.
It's meant for documenting declarations in a fairly straightforward
manner, and it also turns out to be handy for generating basic web pages
(like on the D web site).

For writing a book, using a word processor or Latex is probably much
more appropriate.

Ddoc has easily saved me hundreds and hundreds of hours of work, and it
has also been the major factor in boosting the quality and
comprehensiveness of the Phobos library documentation. I know it has a
lot of shortcomings, but by gawd it's effective. It's one of those
fundamentally indispensible tools I can't believe I spent decades
stumbling along without.

For me it's like the transition from a line editor to a full screen editor.