Hmm - about manifest/enum

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 1 05:55:57 PST 2008

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> > And no, *we* can't live without it.  Maybe you can, but I can't.
>
> That's why using const isn't required. You don't need to use const in
> your programs at all. My opinions on things (like the validity of gc)
> sometimes took years to change. That doesn't mean you're necessarily
> wrong, just that I wouldn't expect any experienced programmer to change
> their opinion overnight. All I ask is that you try it out here and
> there, and see how it works for you.

I respect that.  In fact, I'll agree with the common argument that it's why you're doing so well by D.

I also find myself in a similar boat to Steve though.  2.000 breaks my program in over 300 different places simply because of char literals needing a cast to not be const.  I spent 3 hours working on converting it to use const in the right places like the idea suggests - to 2.000 from 1.020 before finally giving up and reverting (for now).  It's not readily optional unless I'm missing something obvious.

Regards,
Dan