Hmm - about manifest/enum

Michiel Helvensteijn nomail at please.com
Tue Jan 1 10:10:11 PST 2008

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:

> If one were to have a "panel" of experienced users, one should strive to
> have one with equally much experience in the various big languages (too
> bad that it is hard finding anyone with 10+ years in Java and 5+ in C#).
> As it is now, the overweight of C++ seems to be too big (from the
> outside), which sounds doubly bad considering D is touted as a language
> fixing C++ mistakes. Most C++-users I know refuse to even acknowledge that
> C++ is bad.

C++ user here.

C++ and Java are both just hopelessly outdated. However, when C++ was new it
was the best language of its type around. And after many years of use it
has become extremely stable and reliable. Because it is so popular, it is
also impossible to change the meaning of anything as often used as enum.

I will agree that C++ is not perfect. But it is not bad. If you claim it is,
I'd like to hear some arguments.

At first I really liked the D specs. The explicit contracts / invariants /
unittests, the useful template possibilities, the variadic functions, to
name a few. But right now D seems far too unstable and convoluted for me.
It's already past version 1, well into 2 and already planning for 3. Not so
much fixing and stabilizing (or, you know, standardizing) the existing
language as adding more and more features. I'm glad I have something as
reliable as C++ to work with.

Now I will admit that I haven't used D for some time and am mostly going by
what I read in this newsgroup. And I'll be happy to hear counter-arguments.

--
Michiel