Hmm - about manifest/enum

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Thu Jan 3 07:38:31 PST 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>
>> Most C++-users I know refuse to even acknowledge that C++ is bad.
>
> Interestingly, many C++ users I know will not publicly acknowledge the
> flaws in C++. Off the record, though, they say very different things.
> People do not want to damage their careers built up around C++. There
> are some pretty high level C++ experts who have been privately very
> helpful to me in explaining how to do things right.

I've noticed this as well, though I can't say I understand it.  It's
certainly possible to have issues with something and still consider it
the best around.  In fact, having (sufficiently informed) issues with
something is a mark of experience in my opinion.  I'd much rather hire
someone who knows a tool well enough to understand its limitations than
who has never said anything negative about it.  I'd wonder if they were
trying to sell me snake oil.

Sean