Perhaps we need to defer const for a while (3.0?) [off topic]

Bruce Adams tortoise_74 at yeah.who.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 12:30:12 PST 2008

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 12:01:45 -0000, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>
wrote:

> Bruce Adams:
>
>> Still python has its own pitfuls.
>
> Python has its warts, but they are small/tiny compared to
> C/C++/D/Java/Perl ones, and with Python 3.0 lot (but not all) of them
> will be removed.

Its all swings and roundabouts.

>> How many versions of popen do you need to get it right?
>
> From Python 2.4 we have the subprocess module in the std lib:
> http://docs.python.org/lib/module-subprocess.html

I've had deadlock problems with this on windows. Perhaps you
can help me out ;)

http://python-forum.org/pythonforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6818&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=774583b62dc861dd3fb90b3d1544d288

The old versions are still there (for now) and the way the documentation
is organised
is confusing. I have to do a separate search to get API once I find
something
in the manual.

>> When something is broken a breaking change is sometimes required.
>> I detest having to support old broken ways of doing things but accept
>> that its an occasional necessity.
>
> Take a look at Python 3.0a2:
> http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0/

That a nice bundle of changes. I'm looking forward to it.
I can't help being reminded of TCL. It went through a similar phase with
strings going unicode
and byte arrays for binary data.