Hopefully I have something new to add to the argument

Sean Reque seanthenewt at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 12:19:27 PST 2008

Sean Reque Wrote:

> The following C++ program compiles fine:
Oops! I meant to say it compiles and runs fine.

> The following --equivalent-- D program crashes with a runtime exception that can  be debugged as far as I know with a debugger:

I meant to say here that as far as I know this error can ONLY be debugged reasonably  with a debugger.

The final thing I had to note was that I recompiled the D program, declaring the functions as final, and it actually ran successfully. I recompiled the c++ program with the functions declared as virtual and it still ran fine. So the c++ function works for both virtual and static functions, while the D program works with static functions and crashes at runtime with virtual functions.