gtkd

llee llee at goucher.edu
Sat Jan 5 15:28:14 PST 2008

I'm trying to compile a program to use gtkd, however, I don't know what options I should pass to the d compiler.

I'm using dmd to compile a test program. I'm using one of the example provided on gtkd's dsource website:

import gtk.MainWindow;
import gtk.Label;
import gtk.GtkD;

void main(char[][] args)
{
	GtkD.init(args);
	MainWindow win = new MainWindow("Hello World");
	win.setDefaultSize(200, 100);
	win.add(new Label("Hello World"));
	win.showAll();

	GtkD.main();
}

When I run dmd gtk_example.d, the compiler threw an error stating that it could not find gtk/MainWindow.d.

I did a search for the file and found that dsss had created a gtk directory under /usr/local/include/d/, where /usr/local was the prefix that I used during the build. I copied the program that I'm trying to compile to /usr/local/include/d and tried to recompile it. This time It returned a number of 'undefined reference' errors. For example:

gtk_example.o: (.data+0x30): undefined reference to   '_D3gtk10MainWindow12__ModuleInfoZ'

It seems that I need to compile against a library. The instructions provided on gtkd's dsource page say that I need to use gcc to handle linking, and gives the following example:

dmd myprog.d -c
gcc myprog.o -o myprog -lm -lpthread -ldl -lgtkd -lphobos

It seems that I'm missing the gtkd library. I'm guessing from ld's usage conventions, that the library should be named libgtkd.a. I did a search for this library and the closest thing that appeared was libDD-gtk.a. I tried linking against this and it failed. At the moment I'm out of ideas.

Any help would be appreciated.