un-catched segfault exception

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Thu Jan 10 11:56:43 PST 2008

philippe.quesnel wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:
>
>> That's funny, cause on DMDWin you _can_ catch them.
>>

> I just did a test C++ app in Windows (MsDev) ..
> and I do catch exceptions thrown by a null ptr reference.
> Which is what I was expecting to happen in D.

Segfaults in Windows pass through the Structured Exception Handling
mechanism, as do many other hardware-level errors.  It's the Windows
response to signals in Unix.  And DMD is nice enough to turn these into
D exceptions for you.  It sounds like GDC does its exception handling
another way however, and does not.

Sean