Dynamic Code in D

Tom S h3r3tic at remove.mat.uni.torun.pl
Sun Jan 13 15:02:33 PST 2008

Michael Wilson wrote:
> 4) Port to D. Change the GP system to target D source. Batch code
> updated together. On each update, link the new classes in with DDL.
>
> The major problem with this is that AFAIK DDL isn't working on Linux
> yet (at all, never mind on AMD64) and is still beta quality code
> even on Windows. In addition to that, I'm not clear if it can ever
> recover the memory for unused code, though as I mentioned for (1) this
> leak isn't likely to be a problem over the lifetime of the process.
> Plus the GDC invokation overhead as for (3).

For what it's worth, you don't need to use DDL on Linux. .so is just
fine there (at least with GDC). DDL was pretty stable when implemented
with Phobos, I have used it in a mid-scale project (a first person
shooter engine+game) for plugins and rendering kernels (in a
micro-kernel-like architecture). DDL got recently ported to Tango. I
haven't done much testing yet, but it appers to be working just fine.

Good luck with your project! :)

--
Tomasz Stachowiak
http://h3.team0xf.com/