String implementations

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 19 22:41:29 PST 2008

On 1/20/08, Jarrod <qwerty at ytre.wq> wrote:
> I am, and it's making working with user-editable config files an
> annoyance that perl avoids very easily.

Could you possibly explain that, for the benefit of those of us who
don't speak perl?

My limited understanding is the perl was invented before Unicode, and
probably even before the wheel, so either it deals with Unicode by not
dealing with it at all, or else it's a recent edition to the language
(or else I've got it completely wrong - like I said, I don't speak
perl).

Also, isn't perl an interpreted language? You can get away with a lot
more in an interpreted language, but you pay the price in speed.

Moreover, working with user-editable config files - I would have
thought that a job for a text editor, not a programming language. I'm
confused.