Polishing D - suggestions and comments

O_O O_O at mailinator.com
Mon Jan 21 15:48:49 PST 2008

Great suggestions Unknown! I have also been feeling similarly about D. I could barely put some of those thoughts into words on reddit today: http://programming.reddit.com/info/662tz/comments/c02y81s .

 I wish to see wide adoption of D and I also believe for that to happen it should the official D resources should be polished.

 From my experience I've seen adoption of OpenGL (the 3D graphics API) diminish away partly because it was not properly packaged. To get the advanced functionality specific to a Graphics card one had to load OpenGL extensions which was quite a bit of a pain for a newbie, so many libraries have cropped up to load the extensions automatically. Still they have to be installed separately, and there would be futher fragmentation because some tutorials preferred one library over the other. Further because of some legacy API there were many ways to achieve the same thing with varying levels of efficiency. This also confuses new users —each tutorial would use a different method! The OpenGL ARB has finally acknowledged this and set up a working group to maintain an OpenGL SDK. This should have been done a long time ago.

 I fear that the same would happen with having two standard libraries for D. Whatever might be the reason for having both of them currentlly, frankly to the outsider it simply looks like there is not enough cooperation/ agreement between the people making the two libraries.

 I hope something is done about this.