Polishing D - suggestions and comments

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Mon Jan 21 16:54:22 PST 2008

Daniel Lewis wrote:
> Walter,
>
> I'm volunteering to head up a web development project to revamp the 'site, should you be interested.  I'm sure a shiny new website would certainly give D a toe up in the external appeal department.
>
> I'm not running a web design firm.  I'm really not interested in advertising potential or the likes.  I'd just like to commit something I can be proud of back to the community; and I should probably do the same for Walnut later anyways.
>
> I've been a web designer for the last 11 years, and I know most, if not all the tricks with CSS and AJAX and the rest.  I fact, that's how I got into programming.  I'm currently a Web Site Manager for one of the plethora of internal websites within Citi, and the only one I know of that's W3C standards conformant.  It's also WAI AA conformant, and implements some cutting edge stuff that I haven't seen other people on the web do such as:
>
> - keyboard accessible multi-tier horizontal-or-vertical suckerfish menus with the fix for the IE6 select box overlay bug.
>
> - keyboard accessible toggle-able list-based suckerfish file tree generated from the file system.
>
> - automatic user authentication and authorization using Active Directory; which is honestly limited to intranet applications.
>
> - ajax SQL queries dumping into an embedded OWC excel spreadsheet.
>
> I've attached screenshots from two previous iterations of my website for Citi to ease worries.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel Lewis

That would be fabulous.  My vote would be for a design at around the
Slashdot level of glitz.  Not too much popup bling-bling or shiny faux
glass junk.  The Citi pages look a little too shiny to me.  Good for
Citi I think but not for a grass-roots programming language website.

In terms of functionality, making the user-comments in-line would be a
big help.  Most people don't notice the "comments" button at the top of
each doc page, and obviously the comments on those external pages don't
show up when you do a Ctrl-F find-on-page search.

--bb