Polishing D - suggestions and comments

Unknown W. Brackets unknown at simplemachines.org
Mon Jan 21 18:14:15 PST 2008

Aha, I thought that was somewhere... but couldn't find it.  I touched on this briefly.  It also represents problems as far as SEO (something that could be improved on D's pages.)

For example, the fact that these two, entirely separate in Google's eyes, URLs work is bad:

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
http://digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html

In addition, really, all the pages within d/ should 301 redirect to 2.0/ so that 1.0 and 2.0 are each present in their pages' URLs.  This would make searching for documentation on a specific tree simpler and most likely improve relevancy.

But, this is more specific than I really wanted to get with the website's needs.  The important thing is making the decision to get the changes done, and taking the time to review who to work with on it.  Maybe an internal team of volunteers, maybe an outside agency.  This can't happen until responsibility is better dispersed...

As a side note, I work for a web company, and we use PHP primarily - which language I do like.  But it would be cool to see D eat its own dogfood here, and host the website on its own, lightweight webserver with D-coded dynamic pages.  This wouldn't be hard to write at all, and would really show the versatility of D (as well as efficiency, assuming it handled load well.)  Maybe not practically the best, though.

-[Unknown]