Notes IV

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Jan 23 00:45:32 PST 2008

Bill Baxter:

>Then maybe putraw and putrawr for the non-formatted alternatives?  What does ruby do for write and writeln?  I guess those could stay as is...<

put()/putr() (plus str() that is similar to format(), and repr() that is something new and similar to the Python repr()) are non-formatting. In the situations where I need formatting I use the normal format(), writefln(), writef() of std.string...

>>See Fortress language for better sequence literals than (..., ..., ...)<<
>Like what?  Or is it some funky symbols that can't be posted here?<

Fortress can be written both with few (Unicode) "funky symbols" and in pure ASCII, you can find something here ap page 11:
http://research.sun.com/projects/plrg/Publications/SNU.pdf

Or here at page 22:
http://research.sun.com/projects/plrg/Publications/JapanLecture2006public.pdf

Full specification:
http://research.sun.com/projects/plrg/Publications/fortress1.0beta.pdf

Fortress has literals for lists, vectors, sets, multisets, maps, and they can be written in ASCII or with Unicode symbols, for example when expressed in ASCII:
lists: <| a, b, c |>
vectors (no commas): [a b c]
sets: {a, b, c}
multisets: {| a, b, c |}

Fortress has many ideas D may steal & adapt, expecially if D wants to use many CPUs in parallel, perform some number crunching, and appeal to scientific software programmers.

Bye,
bearophile