Polishing D - suggestions and comments

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jan 23 03:09:54 PST 2008

Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
> Yes, of course.... but that's what specialization is all about!  I may
> know a thing or two about the web, but I could never begin to write a
> programming language.  Closest I can get is a low-end scripting
> language.  Growing a project is all about getting people with good
> skills together.

I agree.

> To add user comments to the site, the Ddoc-generated files could be
> output to template files (read: no differently), which might then be
> used by a system which would interpolate those with user-comments.

Ok. I've always been a bit unhappy with the [Comments] thing because the
comments get put on a different page. If the comments could be appended
to the page (after moderation), that would be a big improvement.

> There's no reason you would need to change your process.  There's no
> reason the documentation has to be dynamic any differently than it
> already is (Ddoc is a part of D, after all, and a good one at that.)

Converting the site to Ddoc was a huge productivity booster for me, and
also made the site much more consistent. Ddoc for phobos probably
produced well over an order of magnitude improvement in the quality of
the phobos documentation.

> Vandalism can be handled by moderators.  Likely, with a situation like
> this, comments would not become public until they were approved.  Also,
> with the right server- and client-side coding, spam can be minimized. It
> really would only take maybe three people checking each once a day and
> that would probably be well-sufficient for the time being.

I like that idea better than logins, captcha's, and other impediments.

> I am by no means suggesting you need to throw everything out the window
> and start doing things some strange way.  After all, I wouldn't do that.
>  But a little interactivity can go a long way.

I sent the source to the site to Daniel. Let's see what he can do with
it! The look is controlled by just two files - style.css and doc.ddoc
(which has all the macro text).