Debian install package for dmd?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Jan 23 10:18:54 PST 2008

Walter Bright wrote:

> Does anyone know how to build these things, and is willing to set up
> essentially a turnkey system so I can just copy the files in, run a
> script, and voila! a self-installing download?

The earlier GNU/Linux packages that we made, either in the RPM or in
the DEB format, had problems with the non-distributable license of DMD.
(and the Free Software Guidelines said that license cannot be specific
to a single party or project, so something like Tango has wouldn't do)

Some solved this by making a non-official package that downloaded the
ZIP from ftp.digitalmars.com as part of the installation process...
/etc/apt/sources.list: "deb http://d.xk.pl/debian/ unstable contrib"
But that's pretty non-standard, and depends on the network working OK.

Other packages and installation methods are available from Wiki4D:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial/InstallingDCompiler

And GDC is in Debian now: http://packages.debian.org/testing/gdc-4.1
`apt-get install gdc-4.1`

--anders