Polishing D - suggestions and comments

Daniel murpsoft at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:52:19 PST 2008

Jarrod Wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:32:45 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
>
> > Thanks for taking the time to write this. I think your suggestions are
> > very good.
>
> I think I should ask you here since it's in context with the
> Phobos suggestions.
> What are you planning to do with Tango?
>
> Personally I prefer the Phobos API for it's naming, organisation and
> documentation, but I also like the extra features tango adds and of
> course I don't want to say no to a faster garbage collector and less
> bugs, which leaves me torn.
>
> Perhaps it might be time to replace Phobos, or (even better) officially
> merge the two libraries? Better now than later.

Walter is, and ought to be, focusing his efforts on the language more than the libraries.

Oddly, I would argue that all libraries are simply stop-gap fixes for missing or poorly implemented language features; indeed most programming code tends to be.

However, D has phobos, there was mango, now tango, and work has been done on a tangobos.  The fact that the library keeps changing shows that D's language features actually have an impact, as they frequently replace or integrate library features.

Regards,
Dan