Debian install package for dmd?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Jan 24 02:54:56 PST 2008

Jason House wrote:

>> The earlier GNU/Linux packages that we made, either in the RPM or in
>> the DEB format, had problems with the non-distributable license of DMD.
>> (and the Free Software Guidelines said that license cannot be specific
>> to a single party or project, so something like Tango has wouldn't do)
>
> Would you happen to know the minimal set of license changes that'd be
> required to allow a true debian package?  I'd love to see this happen
> for dmd.  That plus a package for libraries (both phobos and tango)
> that works with both dmd and gdc installations would be awesome!

Nope, but I guess* that Debian prefers using Free Software instead ?
i.e. the "free" GDC is probably preferred over the "non-free" DMD ...

Phobos is usually included with GDC/DMD, unless using Tango packages.
My own RPM packages are available at http://gdcgnu.sourceforge.net/

However, the first DMD issue would be the "non-distribution" clause -
Sun Java has the same problems for their JDK installation packages.

i.e. "The Software is copyrighted and comes with a single user license,
and may not be redistributed." (the same applies to The Specification)

--anders

* from reading http://www.debian.org/intro/free