Polishing D - suggestions and comments

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 16:32:57 PST 2008

You mentioned IDEs a couple times, specifically in that they should be
able to access DMD via some sort of API. While this would be great,
Descent (in trunk, sadly the kinks are still being worked out...) takes
a different approach. We have a full Java port of the DMD semantic
front-end, which we are using to do things like display errors inline as
the user types. From working with Descent, I can say that having
programatic access to the AST would be nice, but since most advanced
IDEs would want to extend it anyway, it's a lot of work for a small gain.