Notes IV

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Jan 25 04:33:28 PST 2008

Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
> bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
>
>>> 'len' is kind of ugly, something like 'size' would be nice.<
>>
>> size is better than length, so I am okay with it.
>
> Problem with 'size' might be confusion with 'sizeof'. 'lenght' is a
> common typo for me, so it might be worthwhile to change. Any other
> fitting names? 'count'?

Count doesn't make size for multidimensional arrays.

I don't think it's confusing at all.  It's what C++ uses.  I've never
heard anyone complain STL was confusing or difficult because it used
"size" everywhere when "sizeof" was already part of the language.  (Of
course that could be because they were too busy complaining about other
things in STL that really are too confusing and difficult ;-) )

--bb