Polishing D - suggestions and comments

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Fri Jan 25 16:35:49 PST 2008

Jesse Phillips wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:57:17 +0100, Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>
>> Dan wrote:

>>> Fair assessment.  I think Tango is more open source and takes the load
>>> off Walter.  It's just simply too heavyweight for me to dare use it; so
>>> library developers go to Tango and library users still go to Phobos.  :
>>
>> I am just curious, what do you consider to be too heavyweight about
>> Tango? Or why do you think it is too heavyweight?
>
> I still have yet to develop in Tango (My book should be here within the
> week), but I think I know what Dan is trying to say by heavyweight.
>
> It is not related to the size or speed of the code, as Sean was
> questioning, but in the use. The best comparison I can think of is that
> it is like going from C to Java. (I'm not saying Tango is like java) The
> phobos library is very procedural, you you import your module and call
> your functions. Tango is Object based, import, create object/call object
> to do something for you. There is a sense of simplicity when you don't
> use objects. That is frankly one of the reasons I have not moved to Tango
> yet.

I know there are a few places in Tango where an additional line may be
needed (and many where you'll need quite a few less), but without exact
examples of what people think is a problem, it is hard to make qualified
decisions on where to make improvements.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net