Plan B for D

renoX renosky at free.fr
Sat Jan 26 01:21:05 PST 2008

I can't help but thinking about the numerous "Linus don't scale" or
"What if Linus is killed by a bus" comments which used to be on lkml.

This was a real concern, but now using a distributed VCS, and a
decentralised structure where Linus trust a few person which trust
themselves other person etc, the Linux kernel now use contributions from
hundreds of developers..

IMHO, D will either die or strive depending of Walter: if he manage to
do a similar thing for the language, the website, the documentation, the
library (and by this I don't mean Tango which started first by doing a
Phobos incompatible library!! *) then D will be the next C++, if he
doesn't then eventually D will fade away..

Note that I don't claim that this is easy to do: it took significant
efforts for Linus to change his way of working and he could rely on a
very involved team..

Regards,
renoX

* a big thank you to the dev who made Tangobos.