Plan B for D

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 05:52:17 PST 2008

renoX wrote:
> IMHO, D will either die or strive depending of Walter: if he manage to
> do a similar thing for the language, the website, the documentation, the
> library (and by this I don't mean Tango which started first by doing a
> Phobos incompatible library!! *) then D will be the next C++, if he
> doesn't then eventually D will fade away..

If Walter dies, we'll all switch to GDC or llvmdc, but there will be a
transition time while we search for people to run the project. We'll
probably beg Andrei to get involved. Phobos, being licensed under the
GPL, is safe. The Digitalmars website might be toast; I don't know its
license.

It would be best for D if there were attractive alternatives to DMD at
that point, and a stable language spec. The current system has everyone
using the same frontend, and that doesn't work terribly well if Walter
dies suddenly.