Polishing D - suggestions and comments

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Sat Jan 26 10:24:13 PST 2008

Jarrod wrote:

> A merge could get the Tango team to work with Phobos too, so everyone can
> help it advance. Hey, it worked real well for compiz and beryl.

There are two aspects about Tango, the runtime and the user level API.

It would indeed be beneficial if the first could be compatible with the one
in Phobos, and we still hope to achieve that in some sense.

As for the user API, that is what most people see, and what garners the most
opinions. I don't think it will be particularly useful to merge that with
Phobos, although they can be shipped together (as is done with the Tangobos
bundles). Even though Phobos and Tango then can be used at the same time,
that doesn't really make much sense unless you are forced that way by your
library dependencies. If you use one part of Tango, you are likely to find
good complimentary functionality elsewhere in Tango rather than in Phobos,
and probably vice versa. As for working together, that is a possibility
with the runtime, but considering we have rather different opinions on how
to shape the library, it is very unlikely for user library, at least across
the board. There are some minor parts that are fairly close to each other,
and where fixes or improvements may be applied to both.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net