Polishing D - suggestions and comments

Jarrod qwerty at ytre.wq
Sat Jan 26 15:02:39 PST 2008

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 19:24:13 +0100, Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:

> Jarrod wrote:
>
>> A merge could get the Tango team to work with Phobos too, so everyone
>> can help it advance. Hey, it worked real well for compiz and beryl.
>
> There are two aspects about Tango, the runtime and the user level API.
>
> It would indeed be beneficial if the first could be compatible with the
> one in Phobos, and we still hope to achieve that in some sense.
>
> As for the user API, that is what most people see, and what garners the
> most opinions. I don't think it will be particularly useful to merge
> that with Phobos, although they can be shipped together (as is done with
> the Tangobos bundles). Even though Phobos and Tango then can be used at
> the same time, that doesn't really make much sense unless you are forced
> that way by your library dependencies. If you use one part of Tango, you
> are likely to find good complimentary functionality elsewhere in Tango
> rather than in Phobos, and probably vice versa. As for working together,
> that is a possibility with the runtime, but considering we have rather
> different opinions on how to shape the library, it is very unlikely for
> user library, at least across the board. There are some minor parts that
> are fairly close to each other, and where fixes or improvements may be
> applied to both.

Okay I get it, Tango seems to have been made because some people didn't
like the Phobos API, not because it lacked features. But in the end a lot
of people choose Tango because of its features and better runtime. Not
trying to rub a lemon in your eye here or anything and hey I could be
very wrong on this, but maybe different API wasn't what most people
needed?

Besides, if you merged couldn't you make a deal? Convince Walter to
perhaps change or add a few API in Phobos to the 'better' Tango ones as
you see them?

Oh and because I'm too lazy to reply to your other post directly :P
Regarding toString: Yes Tango has toString but iirc you have to import
each library for the datatype that you want to convert from, don't you?
Not so good in template functions. All you need from Phobos is
str.toString.