Polishing D - suggestions and comments

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 16:43:50 PST 2008

Kris wrote:

>> doesn't require you to "get religion" first.
>
> Tango can be somewhat different from phobos, yes. Does it require adoption
> of a "religion" to be different, Bill? Surely that's a bit of a stretch?

I think part of the "religious" aspect reflected from Tango is also
related to the photo in the "rogues gallery":

http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/Contributors

It promotes the burlesque image of a cult following.  I've always
disliked it.  While perhaps intended to be amusing, I think it puts
across too playful an image for a library that should begin to take
itself seriously as a maturing product.

I know it's meant as a sort self-deprecating humour... but perhaps Tango
has grown out of that now?

Ironically, the fundamental differences between the Phobos and Tango
design philosophies seem to be demonstrated through the above: Phobos
tends to exude an aura that is lean, austere, and self-serious;  while
Tango tends to exemplify free, swanky, and hip with the cult-following
undertones demonstrated in the contrib photo. I like Tango, though, for
many reasons unrelated to it's personality, which I kind of wish it
would lose.

-JJR