Polishing D - suggestions and comments

Kris foo at bar.com
Sat Jan 26 17:34:54 PST 2008

"John Reimer" <terminal.node at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:fngk4i$1tdu$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Kris wrote:
>

>>> doesn't require you to "get religion" first.
>>
>> Tango can be somewhat different from phobos, yes. Does it require
>> adoption of a "religion" to be different, Bill? Surely that's a bit of a
>> stretch?
>>

> I think part of the "religious" aspect reflected from Tango is also
> related to the photo in the "rogues gallery":
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/Contributors
>
> It promotes the burlesque image of a cult following.  I've always disliked
> it.  While perhaps intended to be amusing, I think it puts across too
> playful an image for a library that should begin to take itself seriously
> as a maturing product.
>
> I know it's meant as a sort self-deprecating humour... but perhaps Tango
> has grown out of that now?
>
> Ironically, the fundamental differences between the Phobos and Tango
> design philosophies seem to be demonstrated through the above: Phobos
> tends to exude an aura that is lean, austere, and self-serious;  while
> Tango tends to exemplify free, swanky, and hip with the cult-following
> undertones demonstrated in the contrib photo. I like Tango, though, for
> many reasons unrelated to it's personality, which I kind of wish it would
> lose.
>
> -JJR

It never fails to amaze just how much can be extracted from merely one
element on a website :)

You're right about the picture, though - it was intended purely as a bit of
fun at the time (as I recall), and should probably go. Certainly it would be
a misconception to paint Tango with a "flighty" brush ... you would have to
look very hard indeed to find a more "serious" D language investment
anywhere.

On a more personal note (for me) - no significant effort should have to go
all true-blue neo-conservative to be considered "serious" about anything in
this world, and a bit of self-deprecating humour is hardly out of place in
any walk of life (there perhaps ought to be more of that around here
sometimes?). It is interesting though, that you picked up on the 'cult'
aspect of that picture - IIRC it was chosen at random because it looked
/truly/ dorky, not because of anything else. Perhaps people will inevitably
see whatever they want to? Ah well, it was comic relief for a period.

Please suggest a replacement? Perhaps we should run a little competition?