Polishing D - suggestions and comments

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 05:44:22 PST 2008

Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:33:23 -0800, Kris wrote:
>
>> - You said "entire library infrastructure is based on classes", with
>> perhaps a vague implication that's what Tango is about. This would be
>> entirely false information, with the potential to mislead others. Phobos
>> also has a number of classes, apparently in about the same ratio as
>> Tango
>
> I would have to say that I have had the same perception as Dan here. From
> a general glance, Tango looks like it is solely class based.

Tango has a lot more things that hold data than Phobos. Collections and
datetimes, for instance. Some things it keeps as static struct methods,
like WallClock.Now, for namespaces. The only thing I've really noticed,
browsing through the source, is formatting and console IO being provided
by classes. That's about three classes, total, that I've seen that could
be done away with. But the result of replacing the formatting class with
free-floating functions would be more verbose code, due to template
arguments.

Solving this perception is a matter of advertising, not of changing
code. That is unfortunate; changing code is much easier and faster.