Descent and gotoapi

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 22:47:41 PST 2008

Kris wrote:
> "Robert Fraser" <fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:fnjt4u$2t5p$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Ary Borenszweig wrote:
>>> The API provided by Descent includes top level members like classes,
>>> structs, functions, templates, etc. For each of these you can get a lot
>>> of information also, like which is the base class of a class, and which
>>> interfaces it implements, or which is the return type of a method and the
>>> types of the parameters, etc. (though this functionality is only present
>>> in the trunk revision, not in 0.4).
>>>
>>> So writing a plugin that generates the files required by gotoapi should
>>> be very, very simple. No changes are required in Descent. :-)
>>>
>>> If anyone is interested in doing it, I can give help on how to write an
>>> Eclipse plugin, and which are the important classes/packages needed to do
>>> it.

>> Actually, I can take a break from the unit test stuff (that's not useful
>> without a builder anyway) and work on a documentation generation system
>> that has interlinks. Would it be more useful to have that or the gotapi?
>
> Descent is the best! :)
>
> Interlinked doc would likely be more valuable to Tango at this time, since
> it can presumeably be hosted anywhere? But it's your call. I guess there
> might be more "presentation" style effort in the interlinked stuff, while
> gotoapi would be free of such concerns?
>
> - Kris

I was thinking that I would generate docs as closely to the Ddoc format
as possible (including parsing macros & all that good stuff). But the
gotapi might still be useful since everything is listed and searchable,
right? I think the gotapi thing is better as a separate plugin, though.

We should move this convo to IRC, but if I did that, my chances of
finishing my homework would be shot for tonight.