Descent and gotoapi

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Mon Jan 28 09:48:59 PST 2008

Robert Fraser wrote:

> Kris wrote:
>> "Robert Fraser" <fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:fnjt4u$2t5p$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Actually, I can take a break from the unit test stuff (that's not useful
>>> without a builder anyway) and work on a documentation generation system
>>> that has interlinks. Would it be more useful to have that or the gotapi?
>>
>> Descent is the best! :)
>>
>> Interlinked doc would likely be more valuable to Tango at this time,
>> since it can presumeably be hosted anywhere? But it's your call. I guess
>> there might be more "presentation" style effort in the interlinked stuff,
>> while gotoapi would be free of such concerns?
>>
>> - Kris
>>

> I was thinking that I would generate docs as closely to the Ddoc format
> as possible (including parsing macros & all that good stuff). But the
> gotapi might still be useful since everything is listed and searchable,
> right? I think the gotapi thing is better as a separate plugin, though.
>
> We should move this convo to IRC, but if I did that, my chances of
> finishing my homework would be shot for tonight.

I chatted with Ary earlier today - I don't think Descent generated API docs
can ever be a permanent solution for Tango as we want to be able to have it
part of the various scripts, both for releases and continously updated on
server for trunk. For that I hope that someone would tackle rebuild to do
the same, or for dil to suddenly be complete compiler <g>.

So maybe gotapi should have higher priority, at least from the above
perspective.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net