Download page and D docs defaulting to D2

jcc7 technocrat7 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 05:50:31 PST 2008

== Quote from Jarrett Billingsley (kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com)'s article
> I've had about eight people come into the D IRC channel in the past
> week asking why xxx was failing, or why something they thought
> should work (constness) didn't.  In every single case, it was either
> because they read the D2 docs, which are the default (FOR SOME
> REASON), and ended up downloading the D1 compiler, or because they
> downloaded the ancient 1.015 D1 compiler which didn't have any
> bugfixes which have been implemented over the past seven months.
>
> So; this is really starting to come to a head.  I don't know how
> many people have suggested switching the default D docs to the D1
> docs.  D2 is _alpha_ and should be treated as such.  We _need_ to
> get this resolved.
>
> Secondly, the D1 DMD D compiler download page
> (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/dcompiler.html) should be updated
> to point to the very newest version of the D compiler, or those
> hardlinks should be removed entirely and simply redirected to the
> changelog, which is far more up-to-date and lets people know what's
> been fixed.

I still agree. D 2.x is different from D 1.x in many non-trivial ways. Many (if
not most) projects aren't on the D 2.x bandwagon yet (Tango is an important
example of this). In future, I expect that the D 2.x projects will be in the
majority but that's months (if not years) away.

And there's no reason to push newbies to D 2.x since I'm sure once they start
coding, it will lead to much confusion as they realize that most of the example
code floating out there is targeted to D 1.x (and earlier).

Here are some examples of where this has been discussed before:
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=63051
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=60812