const challenge

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 07:53:32 PST 2008

It really seems like the whole const debate has died down and Walter is moving on to bigger and better things.  This is great to see, but now I want to stress the design!

I have two challenges, and they're at direct opposites of each other.

1. Create a usage example that can only be solved by stripping const out, or adopting bad coding practices (global variables?).  I suspect this may bring back old examples about why transitive const is bad.  Please avoid flames such as "const is useless" or "my favorite language does not have const and it's great"

2. Find a proper/elegant way to solve problems brought up to challenge #1.

I really hope this does not boil down to useless arguing.  I'm doing this in the hopes that we can finally set all this const stuff to rest and find great things to put into some kind of const FAQ.  If that's not possible, I hope this will help highlight what remaining issues exist and how acceptable they are.