Windows console is broken

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Wed Jan 30 15:50:28 PST 2008

Sergey Gromov wrote:
> Sorry to mention it again, but it is.
>
> If a command-line argument to a D program contains a non-ascii character, that argument doesn't get into main().  This happens even if console code page is 65001.  This is most annoying because it cannot be worked around.

This has worked properly in Tango since its release over a year ago.

> All in all, when it comes to simple utilities, I just put D aside and switch to batch/C/perl/whatever.  As it said in Phobos's Philosophy, "Simple Operations should be Simple."  I don't need a standard output that doesn't work.

Personally, I feel that for scripting-type applications, the best
solution may be to build a custom wrapper around the standard library
which provides the utmost in convenience with no concern for efficiency.
 We've actually talked about this in relation to Tango, but it would
mean yet another API for people to learn and even more code to maintain.
 Perhaps this would be a good third-party project for someone so inclined?

Sean