Polishing D - suggestions and comments

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 21:12:04 PST 2008

Carlos Santander wrote:

> I never related that image with any cult. Probably I just didn't
> remember that part of the movie too well, or some cultural differences
> weighed in, but I always saw it as a bunch of geeks, and as such, I
> found it funny.

It may be a mix of things, including culture, I suppose.  I accept that
as a possibility.

But it really didn't look like a group of geeks to me... from the looks
of it, this frame from a movie seemed to be representing some sort of
alien abductions club (or "cult" :) ) as a sort of satire.  I'm clueless
about the actual setting of this movie's representation.

It was obvious that the shot was intended to convey humour, which
apparently did not work on me, nor was I able to "adjust" to it over
time as is sometimes the case...  I can appreciate that some people
found it funny for whatever reason. But given the impression it gave me,
I found it more weird than funny, leaving me baffled as to what
relationship it had with Tango or it's crew.

And perhaps also, I've always disliked it when people mock other people
(no, I'm not being sanctimonious; it actually annoys me).  In this case,
I suppose the idea is that the contributors are mocking themselves, so
it's "ok"... even if some or most of the contributors did not ask to be
mocked :).  Sensitivity to that may or may not be relegated to
"cultural" differences.  In the long run, it's good to evaluate the
effects of such things in and of themselves.  Naturally, that's not
always an easy thing to do.

-JJR