Windows console is broken

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Jan 31 00:31:51 PST 2008

Sean Kelly:
> Personally, I feel that for scripting-type applications, the best
> solution may be to build a custom wrapper around the standard library
> which provides the utmost in convenience with no concern for efficiency.
>  We've actually talked about this in relation to Tango, but it would
> mean yet another API for people to learn and even more code to maintain.
>  Perhaps this would be a good third-party project for someone so inclined?

I think this one of the two purposes of my d libs. So you may take a look at my code and tell me what do you think about it (we can talk on IRC too). They are partially inspired by Python, so I think they are quite fit for that purpose, I can show some examples. Some things are missing still, but they can be added (getopt, glob, json, etc). I am currently writing a simpler to use File class.

The other purpose of my d libs is to write hi-level code in the parts of nonscripting-like code where you don't need max efficiency: at runtime many programs pass most of their time in a small percentage of their code, so using low-level constructs to write the whole program is premature optimization. In the (often large) part of the program code it's better to use a higher-level style of coding, that allows you to write less code, and put in less bugs.

Bye,
bearophile