Profiler, profiling DLLs, trace.log

Bjoern nanali at nospam-wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 31 02:49:44 PST 2008

Lutger schrieb:

> I'm curious what you're going to do with it, profiling is very important and
> it's a very good idea to make this more accessable within the IDE, imho. It
> will encourage people to actually gather empirical evidence about their
> code.
>
> Regards,
>
> Lutger
>
> * http://www.dsource.org/projects/scrapple/wiki/PtraceUtility

Sorry for the delay. Had an accident and one of my feets are pretty
green and blue... actually green dominates :)

What I am going to do :
Finally something similar to this :
http://www.netbeans.org/images/v6/features/profiler-java.png

I guess the GUI part should not take more than 3 hours. So no problem
here. Problem is that I need a better understanding regarding profiler
results. For instance : The screenshot shows Time in ms and a percent
value. Percent of what ? CPU usage ? Well the shot is showing Java
profiler results, it seems this profiler offers additional information.
like Used Heap / Heap Size.

However, You see, the Netbeans folks are using a Tree-List widget. I
like it, so I will create a similar GUI adapted to use pTrace output.
( still wondering how they deal recursive functions )

Once done, I hope you'll lend me a hand to fill the treelist with Ptrace
  data. As said I have to modify Ptrace 'cause I need a DLL.
Further: return values have to be char* and instead of having several
single values, a comma, whitespace, whatever delimited *list is
preferable. No rocket science :), Building the call graph is an other story.
*
193,43885,32456,168,ptrace.Words.opApply,int function(int delegate(inout
char[], void*), void*)

Regards, Bjoern
But first things first. D source to database mapping has to be done.