Unofficial wish list status.(Jul 2008)

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 10:58:31 PDT 2008

Me Here Wrote:
> Web servers and other IO-bound processes are *not* the target of
> multithreading.

How do functional programming styles apply better to I/O-bound systems?
I couldn't imagine writing a query processor using monads for all I/O.

Functional programming works well for a subset of applications which
require concurrency. The question is: is this subset large enough to justify
designing a language's concurrency support around this paradigm? Is it
large enough to justify forcing additional language constructs (const) for
applications that don't use this paradigm to handle their concurrency? For
non-concurrent applications?

Of course, there are other arguments for a const system (static checking
of interfaces, etc.) But what other major new statically-typed languages
(besides D) have such a system? Java mostly threw it out (there's final
fields & what not). C-pound threw out even more of it. I ahve the same
feelings towards const-as-interface as I do towards checked exceptions:
sounds great on paper, but ends up wasting the developer's time.

(apologies for the web interface; @ work)