Unofficial wish list status.(Jul 2008)

superdan super at dan.org
Tue Jul 1 12:33:12 PDT 2008

Don Wrote:

> Sean Kelly wrote:
> >> so wut is that stuff u want in d. u haven't even tried d2 so it loox like u r interested more in bitchin' than in making real
> > suggestions. now seriously. speak up. what is it that u as a member of the community wanna say and walter doesn't
> > listen.
> >
> > I've tried D2.  I've read the spec as well.  I simply don't like it.
>
> By D2, I imagine you just mean "the const system"?
> (Most of the other things in D2 seem to have been very popular; if D2-
> without-const was released, I reckon most of the community would start
> using it).
>
> It seems to me that the view of the community is "We though we wanted
> const. But now that we've seen what const involves, we don't want it.".
>
> At the very least, it's a public relations disaster from the point of
> view of the language designers. They are assuming that with more time
> and education, the legitimate complaints about first const system will
> be forgotten, and the const system will be embraced by the community.
> But there is a very big risk here -- what if it is NOT eventually
> accepted? What if the community concensus remains that const is just too
> complicated, without enough benefit? And the language designers remain
> steadfastly devoted to const? That's a catastrophic scenario, and
> unfortunately not unlikely.
>
> The fact that someone as senior in the community as yourself is
> expressing profound dissatisfaction indicates that the risk is very real.

here's 1 problem as i c it. is d catering 2 current community exclusively? dun think so. then u want to attract other ppl from the outside world. 2 those the history of const means shit. they want a good system. c++ refugees will sure want 1. java refugees will see it as an advantage.

p.s. also thanks don 4 all great work u've done 4 d.