Unofficial wish list status.(Jul 2008)

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 13:55:12 PDT 2008

superdan wrote:
> Don Wrote:

>>> suggestions. now seriously. speak up. what is it that u as a member of the community wanna say and walter doesn't
>>> listen.
>>>
>>> I've tried D2.  I've read the spec as well.  I simply don't like it.
>> By D2, I imagine you just mean "the const system"?
>> (Most of the other things in D2 seem to have been very popular; if D2-
>> without-const was released, I reckon most of the community would start
>> using it).
>>
>> It seems to me that the view of the community is "We though we wanted
>> const. But now that we've seen what const involves, we don't want it.".
>>
>> At the very least, it's a public relations disaster from the point of
>> view of the language designers. They are assuming that with more time
>> and education, the legitimate complaints about first const system will
>> be forgotten, and the const system will be embraced by the community.
>> But there is a very big risk here -- what if it is NOT eventually
>> accepted? What if the community concensus remains that const is just too
>> complicated, without enough benefit? And the language designers remain
>> steadfastly devoted to const? That's a catastrophic scenario, and
>> unfortunately not unlikely.
>>
>> The fact that someone as senior in the community as yourself is
>> expressing profound dissatisfaction indicates that the risk is very real.
>
> here's 1 problem as i c it. is d catering 2 current community exclusively? dun think so. then u want to attract other ppl from the outside world. 2 those the history of const means shit. they want a good system. c++ refugees will sure want 1. java refugees will see it as an advantage.
>
> p.s. also thanks don 4 all great work u've done 4 d.

If I had a Euro for each time you used bad language, I'd be at least a
few hundred Euros richer.

This is not a forum for 10 year olds discussing their zits. If I can use
a fucking spell-checker, so can you. remember, readers of this NG are
from all over the world, and it would be the proper and polite thing to
do to at least use proper English to make it easier for them to
understand what you said. Besides, if you want to be taken seriously,
using that kind of language does not help your cause. Grow up, this is
not ICQ.

--Yigal