DMD back end dev-kit

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 05:41:12 PDT 2008

Hello Don,

> IIRC, earlier this year, Walter said he was still trying to get it
> released, and did expect to be successful eventually.

Hmmmm, I must have missed or forgotten that post.  That's better news than
I expected.

> I doubt that the problem has much to do with money. Murky legal issues
> could well be a major part of it. I recently got some code from my
> university days open-sourced, and it was extremely painful and slow --
> even after getting in-principle agreement from *everyone* who could
> possibly be a copyright owner, none of them were certain that they had
> authority to approve its release.

I think a few (now) opensource projects have been that way.  OpenWatcom,
I think, had a long process of source cleanup and legal preparation/licensing
before they could release the code.  It's probably the same with Java and
OpenSolaris to some degree.

-JJR