Wish: Variable Not Used Warning

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Jul 9 01:08:25 PDT 2008

"Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
news:g51qgu$1f63$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:g51k8s$102f$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> The difference between lint and a compiler is people know lint is not a
>> compiler and do not worry about lint's complaints. Warnings in the
>> compiler are treated, in reality, like programming errors.
>>

> Ahh, now this appears to be the root of our differing opinions on this. I
> think I understand your reasoning behind this now, even though I still
> don't agree with it.
>
> It sounds like (previously unknown to me) there's a rift between the
> reality of warnings and the perceptions that many programmers (excluding
> us) have about warnings. As I understand it, you consider it more
> important to design around common perceptions of warnings, even if they're
> mistaken perceptions (such as warnings, by definition, not actually being
> errors). My disagreement is that I consider it better to design around the
> realities, and use a more education-based approach (I don't necessarily
> mean school) to address misperceptions. Is this a fair assessment of your
> stance, or am I still misunderstanding?
>
> If this is so, then our disagreement on this runs deeper than just the
> warnings themselves and exists on more of a "design-values" level, so I
> won't push this any further than to just simply note my disagreement.

I'd also like to note one other thing...Umm, this might come across sounding
harsh, so please understand I don't in any way intend it as any sort of
personal or professional disrespect/insult/sarcasm/etc.:

It's just that the way I've always felt about lint tools is, I've always
seen lint tools as a sign of popular languages and compilers doing an
insufficient job of catching easily-overlooked programming mistakes. (For
instance, if I were going to use a language that allows implicit variable
declarations (makes hidden mistakes easy), *and* there was no way to prevent
the compiler/interpreter from remaining silent about it when it happened (a
mere band-aid in the case of the implicit declaration problem, but a very
welcome band-aid nonetheless), then I would grunble about it and try to find
a lint tool that plugged that bug-hole. This, of course, goes back to the
"good/bad redundancy in lanugage design" point that you've made.)