Wish: Variable Not Used Warning

Koroskin Denis 2korden at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 04:58:13 PDT 2008

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:26:54 +0400, Manfred_Nowak <svv1999 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Koroskin Denis wrote:
>

>>     void connect(unused int timeout)
> [...]
>> connection.connect(0); // I don't care, since it is immediate
>> anyway
> [...]
>> and then refactor your code
>

> In which way is this type of coding better than preparing for
> overloading `connect':
>
>      void connect(){
>        // ...
>      }
>
>      void connect( int timeout){
>        // ...
>        this.connect();
>      }
>
> and then calling
>
>      > connection.connect(); // immediate connection
>

> In addition: why is it good to be forced to refactor?
>
> -manfred

You asked an example, I provided one. There is another one:

class Node
{
     private Node parent;

     Node getRoot() {
         Node p = parent;
         while (parent !is null) {
             parent = parent.next;
         }

	return parent;

Actually, getRoo() isn't supposed to modify this.parent, but it does by
accident (say nothing about const, please!). In my code, I was going to
modify local variable, but not a member. Local variable p was defined, it
has value assigned but it's _not_ used. Compiler could warn me that I
don't use it, and it would help to detect a problem.